I. Przeczytaj tekst ‘Sweet Success’ i zdecyduj czy podane zdania są prawdziwe (TRUE) czy fałszywe (FALSE). 10 PKT / ___
Most 15-year-olds spend their time on things like homework, seeing friends and playing computer games. Very few of them open their own factory. That’s exactly what Peter Barnett has done and it looks he could be on the way to huge success.
Peter has just opened his own chocolate factory in Bradford in the UK. When he was four or five, he often helped his mum make cakes and his interest in food started there. As he grew up, he became more and more interested in food and where it comes from. Then he got a small chocolate machine, he taught himself how to make chocolate, and took his first steps on the road to his own business.
In the beginning, he used the machine to make chocolate for family and friends. He poured the chocolate into a mould, which gave the chocolate different shapes, and he learned a lot about the whole process of making chocolate. Gradually, he began to make more and more and started his own company, Choco. People from two large UK supermarkets, which have stores all over the country, tried his chocolate and decided that their customers would like to buy them. With his chocolate on supermarket shelves, Peter needed to produce more than he could, so he had to open a factory.
His success is even more surprising when you know that he has dyslexia, which means that he has a lot of problems with reading and writing. In fact, he hasn’t been to school since he was 11 years old. Instead, he had a tutor, John and he learned at home. Now, John works at Peter’s factory, and so are his mum and dad.
Phil Barnett, his father, left his job and put his money into Peter’s business. Peter and his family know that it’s a big risk, but he’s determined to make a success of it.
1. Peter Barnett is fifteen years old. __________
2. He opened several factories in the UK. __________
3. He used to make chocolate with his mum when he was small. __________
4. He was still keen on food when he grew up. __________
5. He learned how to make chocolate by watching his mum. __________
6. At first, all the chocolates he produced were exactly the same. __________
7. Soon, his chocolates will be available all round the UK. __________
8. Peter had problems with schoolwork. __________
9. One of Peter’s employees used to teach him. __________
10. Peter’s parents also run a factory. __________
5. Autumn is my favourite season / term of the year.
6. I’m afraid I’ve only got a £20 note. Do you have change / rest ?
7. There is a leisure centre for youth / young people in our town.
8. The doctor gave me a prescription / recipe for eye drops.
IX. Do każdej krótkiej wypowiedzi dobierz właściwą reakcję a, b lub c. 8 PKT / ___
1. Do you live in the city centre?
a) Yes, I leave soon. b) Yes, I’m alive. c) Yes, but it’s a very noisy area.
2. Will you let me use your computer?
a) Yes, I would. b) Yes, let’s do that! c) Go ahead.
3. I hate it when I have many tests in a week.
a) I don’t care. b) How long does it take? c) Oh, I’m sorry to hear that.
4. How about going to the cinema tonight?
a) Don’t mention it. b) Yes, that’s a good idea. c) No, we won’t go.
5. Excuse me, where can I pay for these?
a) I’m sure you can. b) At the checkout. It’s over there. c) Hold on a moment.
6. My mum says I shouldn’t play computer games so much.
a) Why not? It’s great fun. b) When does she say that? c) Play quickly.
7. I think I have just seen one of your neighbours.
a) Oh, really? What did he like? b) Oh, really? What did he look like?
c) Oh, really? Where did you look?
8. How do you like my new jacket?
a) Very much, it really suits you. b) Very much, it matches you. c) Very much, they are nice.
X. Przyporządkuj do każdej informacji 1 – 7 miejsce, w którym możesz ją przeczytać a – g. 7 PKT / ___
1. Two missed phones. ____ a) a warning on a box
2. Charge the battery before the first use. ____ b) laptop
3. Open 24 – hours a day. ____ c) a mobile phone
4. Copying this CD is prohibited. ____ d) surgery
5. All pens half – priced! ____ e) mobile phone’s manual
6. Open a new document. ____ f) TV studio
7. Silence please! Rehearsal in progress! ____ g) a stationery shop
XI. Uzupełnij zdania podanymi poniżej czasownikami. 7 PKT / ___
joined / won / scored / beat / supported / played / cheated
1. It was cold and rainy but ten thousand fans _______________ their team.
2. Following his doctor’s advice, he _______________ a gym.
3. He ______________ during the race and finally the judges disqualified him.
4. She did her very best and _______________ the trophy.
5. Manchester _______________ three goals yesterday.
6. His team _______________ Barcelona by four goals to one.
7. Both teams ________________ well and did their best to win.
XII. Zdecyduj, która odpowiedź a, b lub c najlepiej pasuje do każdej luki. Zakreśl prawidłową odpowiedź. 10 PKT / ___
Welcome to Angela’s Summer School. Please follow the instructions carefully:
Please (1) … the secretary if you are a two- or three-week student. She will give you your (2) … , which will include the classroom number, names of teachers and hours. If your next (3) … is chemistry, physics or biology, go to the labs on the first floor. Remember, be there on time. All (4) … last 50 minutes. There is a 30 minute (5)… for lunch at 1 pm. Study hard and (6) … before each test. After two or three weeks, you will receive a (7) … which will inform you about your progress. If you are (8) … in sports, be a member of our sports clubs. Our trainers will (9) … you with the equipment and show you ways to improve. We know you all look (10) … to starting classes. Have a nice time!
1. a) tell b) speak c) talk
2. a) study b) qualification c) timetable
3. a) topic b) subject c) course
4. a) lessons b) timetables c) courses
5. a) break b) test c) certificate
6. a) revise b) repeat c) read
7. a) subject b) report c) qualification
8. a) good b) interested c) quiet
9. a) tell b) inform c) help
10.a) important b) forward c) happy
WIEDZA NA TEMAT KULTURY KRAJÓW ANGLOJĘZYCZNYCH
XIII. Wpisz brakujące wyrazy. 10 PKT / ___
1. S ___ ___ ___ ___ / G ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ‘ ___ / C ___ ___ ___ ___ is the flag of England.
( 3 words)
2. The ___ i ___ ___ / b ___ ___ ___ is the national symbol of New Zealand. ( 2 words)
3. ___ ___ ___ ___ u is a Welsh name for Wales.
4. ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ is the capital city of Australia.
5. Ireland is also called the ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ island.
6. The capital city of the Republic of Ireland is ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ .
7. Ottawa is the capital city of ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ .