I. Przeczytaj wywiad z Joan Bryson, autorką książki ‘Single E-mail’, następnie dopasuj pytania a – l do jej odpowiedzi 1 – 12. 12 PKT/____
1. _____? I’ve had computer of one sort or another since I bought my first Mac in 1987. I remember it was a little box with a black and white screen, and I used it to go off and make a cup of tea when it was time to print anything.
2. _____? I have two laptops, and at home I have huge IBM Aptiva, which is jet black and looks like the sort of thing Darth Vader might use.
3. _____? Very important, but like most of the world, I have a love-hate relationship with computers. As a novelist I love the cut and paste function, which has changed the way I write fiction. As a traveller, I’m hooked on hotmail and Internet cafes. But as a true technobimbo, I really hate the way computers can get stuck, go wrong and generally fail to explain themselves in plain English.
4. _____? For e-mail and writing fiction.
5. _____? I’m afraid the only website I look at regularly is my own. I like to see what readers of ‘Single E-mail’ are saying about the book. It’s never what I expect or imagine!
6. _____? Yes. I once had a very flirtatious online conversation with someone who, embarrassingly enough, turned out to be fifteen. I was thirty at the time.
7. _____? About eight hours. The longest I’ve ever spent was actually twenty-four hours, when I was writing a story for an Australian magazine entitled ’24 Hours on the Net’. It nearly killed me.
8. _____? Yes, I bought a juicer. It’s fantastic, and I’ve become addicted to banana milk shakes!
9. _____? Yes, I really want one of those mobile phones with e-mail and Internet access on them.
10. _____? No, I don’t think so. I’m not like it at all. I don’t understand computers – they’re just glorified hairdryers or electric kettles to me.
11. _____? Yes, it annoys me to think how much I depend on them. I’ve been spending far too long on my computer. I must remember to get a life!
12. _____? A computer – sorry, guys!
a) How long have you spent on the Internet in the last week?
b) What do you use your computer for?
c) Have you bought any gadgets recently?
d) How important do you think computers are?
e) Have you ever chatted with strangers on the Internet?
f) Are there any gadgets on the market that you want?
g) Do you see yourself as a computer geek?
h) Do you know any good websites?
i) Which would you take to a desert island for company – a computer or a human?
j) How long have you been using computers?
k) Is there anything that irritates you about computers or electronic technology?
l) What kind of computer do you have now?
ZNAJOMOŚĆ KONSTRUKCJI GRAMATYCZNYCH
II. Napisz zdania, używając wyrazów podanych w nawiasach w zerowym, pierwszym lub drugim trybie warunkowym. 5 PKT/____
1. A: Susan is a very annoying person. B: Oh, yes. ________________________________________
5. A: I think Tom is lonely because he is too shy. B: __________________________________
_______________________________ . (if/ he/ go out/ more often/ he/ make/ new/ friends/ very soon)
III. Uzupełnij tekst. W każdą lukę możesz wpisać tylko jeden wyraz. 10 PKT/____
One day a man was 1. ______________ past a house in Oxford when he 2. _______________ a woman’s voice shouting for help. The man 3. ______________ someone 4. ______________ trying to murder her. He ran to a phone box and 5. ________________ the police. The police came quickly, but by now the shouting had 6. _______________ . However, the man 7. _______________ quite sure that he 8. ________________ heard cries for help. When the police 9. _______________ on the door, there was no answer. So they broke down the door and went in. Inside the house was a woman who had just 10. ________________ out of the shower. She explained to the police that she had been singing along to the Beatles song ‘Help!’.
IV. Przepisz podane wypowiedzi w mowie zależnej. 9 PKT/ ____
1. “You must try my home-made bread.”
He said I ______________________________________________________________________.
2. “How much did you hope to earn last year?”
Brian asked Susan ______________________________________________________________ .
3. “What is Travis doing now?”
Our boss wanted to know _________________________________________________________ .
4. “Please, be quiet and don’t wake the baby!”
Martin told us __________________________________________________________________ .
5. “Will you be at home soon?”
She asked her husband ____________________________________________________________ .
6. “I think I fell in love with Sarah.”
Chris told me ___________________________________________________________________ .
7. “I had a brilliant time yesterday.”
I said ______________________________________________________________________ .
8. “Where were you an hour ago?”
My father wanted to know ________________________________________________________ .
9. “When does Erin feel extremely happy?”
Robert wanted to know __________________________________________________________ .
V. Przeczytaj pary zdań 1 – 7 . Uzupełnij każdą lukę tak, aby zachować znaczenie zdania wyjściowego. W każdym zdaniu brakuje maksymalnie czterech elementów. 7 PKT/ ____
1. A mechanic repaired John’s car yesterday.
John _________________________________________ yesterday.
2. Tina loved reading ghost stories in the past but now she simply hates them.
Tina _______________________________________ ghost stories but now she simply hates them.
3. New filters have been installed by the local industries recently.
The local industries _____________________________________ recently .
4. They are building a new factory in this area.
A new factory ____________________________________ in this area.
5. The queue was so long that we had to wait for an hour to get in.
There ___________________________________ queue that we had to wait for an hour to get in.
6. OK, why don’t we meet right after school to sort it all out.
OK, how ____________________________________ finish school to sort it all out.
7. We intend to help more with the housework.
We’re ___________________________________ with the housework.
ZNAJOMOŚĆ SŁOWNICTWA I ZWROTÓW
VI. Zakreśl jedno poprawne słowo. 6 PKT/ ____
1. If you stop eating cakes and sweets, you will be able to check / examine / control / test your weight.
2. My mother had to reduce / weaken / shrink / shorten her intake of meat, because she suffers from high cholesterol.
4. Before eating a banana you have to delete / extract / take out / remove the skin.
5. My granny has artificial / fake / false / counterfeit teeth.
6. Because of their continuous training, runners usually have bony / lean / skinny / thin, athletic bodies.
VII. Wybierz prawidłową odpowiedź a, b lub c. 10 PKT/ ____
Although our lives have improved with the aid of technology, more and more people are becoming 1. _____ that we should not 2. _____ the environment. This is obvious to people who live in a(n) 3. _____ environment and they have to deal with problems such as traffic and air pollution. In many areas a recycling scheme 4. _____ introduced a few years ago. Leaflets were 5. _____ out, there were ads in newspapers and 6. _____ groups like Friends of the Earth informed people about the problem of waste 7. _____ . Now, more and more people take empty bottles and glass objects they don’t need any more to the bottle 8. _____ of their neighbourhood. Some others have had a solar – powered water heater 9. _____ because they understand that in this way they 10. _____ the environment less.
2. My new mobile phone has more than fifty different ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ .
3. I have a ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ connection at home.
4. You need a hard drive or a ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ / ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ to store your data. (2 words)
5. I can’t open my e- mail ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ because I forgot my password.
IX. Uzupełnij tekst podanymi poniżej słowami. 9 PKT/ ____
a) flood b) famine c) earthquake d) drought e) rubble f) outbreak
g) starvation h) collapse i) trapped
If a country has no rain for a long time, this dry period is called a(n) 1. … . In countries dependent on their agriculture, this can lead to a period of 2. … , when there is not enough food and people die of 3. … . When it rains very heavily and the land is under water, this is called a(n) 4. … . In some parts of the world, the ground shakes from time to time. This is called a(n) 5. … . Buildings often 6. … and rescue teams have to search for people who are 7. … under the 8. … . Sometimes water supplies are affected and there is a(n) 9. … of diseases, called an epidemic.
X. Przeczytaj list Pam i zastąp wyrażenia A – F wyrażeniami 1 – 6. 6 PKT/ ____
1. I’d be happy _____ 2. Don’t let it get you down _____ 3. How about _____
4. how things go _____ 5. if I were you, I’d _____ 6. Perhaps you could also _____
Thanks very much for your letter, and of course A. I’m only too glad to help. Here are a few things you can try to earn all the money you need.
First of all, B. I think you should get a Saturday job. C. Have you thought of trying to get one in a local shop so that you can be close home? This will mean that you won’t have to travel so far on Saturdays.
D. Another good idea is to get a job babysitting. Why don’t you ask your neighbours? My only advice is not to get very young children, because they need all your attention.
I hope my advice helps. E. Don’t give up if you can’t find a job immediately.
Write and let me know F. what happens.
XI. Przeczytaj fragmenty listów A – D i dopasuj je do rodzajów listów 1- 4. 4 PKT/ ____
1. ….. letter giving news 2. ….. letter of invitation 3. ….. letter asking for advice