I. Przeczytaj tekst, następnie uzupełnij brakujące fragmenty (a – f). 6 PKT/ ____
a) and rises to over 4,000 metres in some places
b) which tastes a bit like beef
c) on the edge of the mountain
d) it was the capital of the Inca empire
e) for a hot shower and a rest before dinner
f) it’s 3,809 metres above the sea level
Students Lenny and Simon are backpacking round South America. Lenny is recording a diary of their journey on the Internet.
‘We’ve just arrived in Puno on the western shore of Lake Titicaca, which is between Peru and Bolivia. It’s the largest freshwater lake in South America and one of the highest in the world – 1. ______. Puno is nothing special, but we are very glad to be after a long and uncomfortable overnight bus ride in Cuzco.
We’ve been busy since we arrived in Peru a week ago! First we took a bus from Lima to Cuzco (24 hours!). I lost my watch somewhere on the journey, but it wasn’t valuable. Cuzco is a very beautiful old town surrounded by the Andes mountains – 2. ______. We spent a night in a hostel , and the next morning we started on the Inca trail to the city of Machu Picchu. The trail is often very steep 3. ______, so lots of people suffer from altitude sickness. I’ve been lucky because I haven’t felt ill, but Simon has had a bad headache for a couple of days.
The trek along the Inca trail took four days and it was exhausting. On the last day, we got up at 4 am to get to Machu Picchu in time for sunrise. When we got there, the city was invisible because it was covered in cloud. But suddenly the cloud lifted, and there was Machu Picchu 4. ______ . It was magic! It is not surprising that the place is so popular and half a million people visit it every year.
We spent several hours wandering round the place. It was incredible! Then we got back to Cuzco by bus and train 5. ______ . We’ve had some interesting food in Peru. I’ve already tried llama, 6. ______ . A local speciality in Cuzco is roast guinea pig, but I couldn’t try it! Tomorrow we’re going on a boat trip to visit some of the islands on Lake Titicaca. The weather has been great – let’s hope it stays that way.’
Dopasuj pogrubione wyrazy w tekście do ich definicji. 8 PKT/ ____
3. Susan, why are that / those clothes on the floor?
4. Look! Isn’t this / that Peter’s bike at the greengrocer’s on the corner?
5. Darren and I are going to the cinema tomorrow at 5. Would you like to go with our / us?
6. These books are for Andrew. Can you give it / them for him / his.
VI. Uzupełnij tekst wpisując podane przymiotniki w stopniu równym, wyższym lub najwyższym. 9 PKT/___
The 1. _______________ (late) computer game on the market is called ‘Wet City’. Like its rival ‘The Shadows’, ‘Wet City’ is a spy adventure story. We asked a player to tell us about it.
‘It’s the 2. _______________ (exciting) game I’ve ever played’, says a teenager Andy Filroy. ‘‘Wet City’ has a 3. ________________ (good) soundtrack than ‘The Shadows’ and the special effects are 4. __________________ (realistic). It is also 5. __________________ (easy) to play than ‘The Shadows’.’
However, it is not 6. _______________ (cheap). At $109 it is the 7. ________________ (expensive) and the 8. ________________ (violent) game in the shops, but probably one of the 9. ________________ (popular) this year.
VII. Zastąp podkreślone fragmenty zdań jednym właściwym zaimkiem. Dwa zaimki zostały podane dodatkowo i nie pasują do żadnego zdania. 4 PKT/ ____
1. There is a person at the gate. I’ll go and talk to him. __________________
2. There isn’t one thing to eat and I’m so hungry. __________________
3. All the clothes you bought are really beautiful. __________________
4. None of the people felt sorry for me. __________________
ZNAJOMOŚĆ SŁOWNICTWA I ZWROTÓW
VIII. Uzupełnij tekst podanymi poniżej wyrazami. 8 PKT/ ___
a) drought b) environment c) smoke d) global e) protection
f) waves g) resources h) pollution
New statistics show that 1. … warming is getting worse. Last year, more than forty countries had very little rain. As a result they suffered from heat 2. … and 3. … . In addition, widespread fires caused harmful 4. … which had terrible effects on the 5. … . Scientists say these problems are the result of the increase in 6. … . Unless people start using natural energy 7. … and support programmes of 8. … and conservation, the situation will not change.
IX. Dopasuj tabliczki informacyjne do miejsc w których możesz je zobaczyć. 8 PKT/____
1. DO NOT LEAN OUT OF THE WINDOW _____ a) a car park
2. NO CARAVANS _____ b) outside a hotel room
3. DO NOT DISTURB _____ c) a railway station
4. KICK – OFF 3 PM _____ d) a hotel restaurant
5. TODAY’S EXCHANGE RATES _____ e) a football ground
6. OPEN TO NON – RESIDENTS _____ f) a train
7. DO NOT CROSS THE LINE _____ g) a children’s playground
8. NO DOGS, NO BALL GAMES _____ h) a bank
X. Wpisz brakujące słowa. Pierwsze litery zostały podane. 8 PKT/ ___
1. Our train leaves from p ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ 3.
2. I booked a p ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ holiday which include accommodation, breakfast and transfers to and from the airport.
3. If you are a citizen of the European Union, you can cross the b ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ without a visa. All you need is your ID card.
4. Sara went on a c ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ on a private yacht.